Well, we didn’t get as far as I thought we would, however, my goals were a little ambitious. Also, I don’t think I realized the full extent of how much time, effort, and energy goes into stripping/scraping/sanding woodwork! That’s basically all I did all weekend, while Travis, my in-laws Tim and Carla, and our friends Marcus and Alisha cleaned and painted.
Carla did some AWESOME cleaning of the nasty stove, and between her and Alisha, that awful 80’s/early 90’s wallpaper came down!
Upstairs, a lot of progress was made – and a LOT of painting accomplished!
The master bedroom in all of the glory of it’s new color, “Loyal Blue” from Sherwin-Williams! I am in LOVE with this color – just the right mix of navy, royal blue, and teal. The room is large and gets plenty of light, so it can handle the deep viscosity of this color. I am glad Travis convinced me to paint the trim white – definitely much less labor intensive than the origianl plan to strip and stain the woodwork up here. Also the bright white (Decorator’s White by Benjamin Moore) really POPS against that dark background.
So much progress on the guest bedroom that it’s unrecognizable! All of that bluish-purple paneling was painted “Decorator’s White” by Benjamin Moore, along with all of the trim. Travis and Marcus worked hard to pull up the old carpet and remove staples. As you can see, we discovered a lot of paint on this beautiful hardwood floor, but we should be able to sand that right off. I’m glad we went for simple white in this room – it really opens up the smaller room and makes it so much lighter and brighter!
We did discover we have a leaky spot in the closet in this room, so that has been added to the “to-do” list!
Look at this GORGEOUS color – “Iron Ore” by Sherwin-Williams. It’s such a deep charcoal it’s almost black. With all of the (soon-to-be) white trim and the white sink, toilet, and tub, this high-contrast room will really combine the best of an antique look with a modern feel.
The bathroom is certainly under construction, but we made a lot of progress! There is a large linen closet that unfortunately was a little moldy, so Tim and Carla spent quite a bit of time bleaching it out and then starting to cover everything with Kilz primer to completely cut off any mold or mildew from returning.
I am looking forward to getting the upstairs complete! If we can at least get that floor “done”, it will be much easier to start slowly moving in.